Floral Fireworks is an abstract that I grew to like it as I went through its production stages, even though it didn’t excite me so much at the beginning. I used a high-loft batting, which means that it has more dimensionality than I can show in any photograph. The high loft helps to make all the pieces puff out when I begin to sew the pieces down on the machine. This is even more emphasized when I hand-stitch each piece to the foam core which is its rigid back.
The piece uses only four different fabrics, a green-brown leafy background, the sort of paisley (but not!) mostly circular shapes in blues and whites, the red poinsettia flower with pine cones, and finally the blue edging. I tried out various greens, but could not match the background; the blue lets the green actually look green, and helps bring out the blues. Before the edge went on, I added eyelash yarn around the four shapes, in blues around the blue pieces, and glittery gold around the poinsettia.