The Phoenix began from an image extracted out of a fat quarter which was part of a set of coordinated fabrics. While I rarely use such a large piece from a single piece of cloth, there was really little choice here; cutting into that magnificent creature was not an option! Although it does not show well in this photo, the black sky has the same pattern as the red below the bird, just in grey on black. The flowers came from other pieces in the set. The shape, I decided, had to be oval, and I used an oval mat cutter gadget to achieve that. I might have preferred a narrower oval, but that was not possible. I did deliberately place the eye of the phoenix on the central vertical axis of the oval, though.
First Prize Winner at the Framingham Artists Guild Winter Show.